VicSmart Application FAQ

What is an occupancy permit?

The building surveyor who issues the building permit carries out building inspections and issues an occupancy permit or a certificate of final inspection (as applicable) on completion of your building work.

You need an occupancy permit before a building can be occupied if the building permit states that one is required.

Building work for a new home (including units or apartments) will always require an occupancy permit to be issued. It is an offence to occupy a new home that does not have an occupancy permit.

Occupancy permits also play an important role in establishing the start date for builders' warrantees and, often, when the builder gets final payment. They are only issued when the building work is complete.

Under the Building Act a separate fee is required for an application for an occupancy permit, although this is often included in the building permit quote.

Creative Commons License Source: Occupancy Permits and Certificates of Final Inspection by City of Stonnington

Related FAQs